I’m a podcast fan, they’re convenient and easy to consume. I enjoy listening to podcasts mostly from my mobile phone during my daily mundane tasks. It makes the mundane more interesting.
I love the ease of this medium, depending on the time I have available, I can listen to 8 minutes of news from ‘PRI’s The World’, or a fifty minute episode from ‘On Being’ with Krista Tippet interviewing philosophers’, composers and authors.
I mostly enjoy listening to other people’s stories, learning about other cultures and belief systems. Tuning in sparks my creativity.
I use the SoundCloud platform to listen to the following stations:
- On Being Studios – Krista Tippett. Questions of meaning with scientists, theologians, artists and teachers. An episode that stands out as a favourite is Krista’s interview with Paulo Coelho (author of the Alchemist) – The Alchemy of Pilgrimage.
- Off Camera – hosted by photographer / director Sam Jones. Long form conversational interviews with a myriad of artists, musicians, directors, skateboarders, and photographers. I particularly enjoyed Sam’s interview with Ethan Hawke – Off Camera -27
- Modern Art Notes Podcast – hosted by Tyler Green. Features artists, historians, curators, critics and authors. I recently listened to a podcast on Bruce Conner – an artist renowned for his work in assemblage, film, drawing, sculpture, painting, photography, and performance.
- The Splendid Table – hosted by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. Explores the entire spectrum of food. I love the interviews that explore culture and cuisine.
- The Story Collider. Stories about science, how science effects and changes us. I was fascinated by Skylar Bayer’s story: The Hummingbird of Doom.
Henry Ford once said “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.”
I’m always on the lookout for new stations to freshen up my library and I’d love to hear your recommendations.